Certainly, feels like February with the snow, ice and cold. It’s here for a bit longer. Conditions of snowbanks, slick conditions and impacted visibility are part of winter driving. Please be sure to drive with extra caution as these conditions challenge the best of drivers.
Over the next two weeks students will be meeting with each of their class teachers for course recommendations for the 2022-2023 school year. Students should engage in a thoughtful process utilizing teacher recommendations, future considerations, courses of academic rigor and personal interest, conversations with their school counselor as well as their parent and guardian to help determine course options best suited to their needs, interests and future plans.
Parents / guardians with any scheduling questions should contact their students school counselor.
Have a great week!
We kindly ask that you utilize the following links as first resources to find the information you are seeking prior to contacting the Main Office.
SHS Web Page:
Save the Date
Monday, 2/7 - Wednesday, 2/15; Teacher Course Recommendation Period
Thursday, 2/10: Junior Parents Night; 6:30pm
Monday, 2/21 - Friday, 2/25; School Closed / Winter Vacation
Updated Program of Studies
● An update with course number for PLTW / Computer Science Essentials
Driving on SHS Grounds
All drivers are reminded to be careful and cautious when driving on school grounds. Winter conditions of snow banks and icy conditions require increased awareness with other automobiles and pedestrians. Please drive slowly and follow all posted signage and established traffic patterns.
Grade 10 Health Screenings
During the month of February, grade 10 students enrolled in S2 physical education classes will have their vision, hearing and BMI screenings. Please contact Sandra Malzone RN at SMalzone@stonehamschools.org with any questions.
JUNIOR PARENT INFORMATION NIGHT
● The Guidance Department will present an information session for junior parents on Thursday, February 10 at 6:30 p.m. at the high school. An overview of the post-secondary planning process will be outlined, with emphasis on the college search and application process.
ASVAB (Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery)
● SHS will be hosting the ASVAB on Friday, March 4th at 8:15 a.m.
● Please sign up in the Guidance office by February 15th.
● If you have any questions, please see your counselor.
Interested in the medical field?
● Lahey Hospital and Medical Center is offering a summer program in Medical Research.
○ Selected students will receive a Certificate in Medical Research as well as a monetary stipend.
○ There is a 20-30 hour/week commitment from June 27 - August 19.
○ Interested high school students are encouraged to apply.
○ The application (along with the parent consent form for minors) is due by February 11, 2022.
● MEFA ( Massachusetts Educational Financing Authority) is offering a variety of upcoming webinars related to college planning and financing. More information and registration here:
SAT / PSAT Information
● SAT test dates at SHS
○ March 12, 2022
■ Registration deadline February 11, 2022
○ June 4, 2022
■ Registration deadline: May 5, 2022
District Parent Educational Programs: Cyber Security
Stoneham Public Schools is providing the following seminars for parents / guardians:
● Navigating the Cyber World, Feb. 8, 2022 from 7:00 – 8:30 pm; and
● Understanding Digital Abuse, Feb. 15, 2022 from 7:00 – 8:30 pm.
● Navigating the Cyber World, Feb. 8, 2022 from 7:00 – 8:15 pm.
○ Navigating the Cyber World
■ This workshop reviews the challenges and dangerous situations that may arise through use of the internet, social media, and smartphones. It is important for school staff and parents to be aware of the popular apps, social media sites, and programs used by youth online. This workshop explains the issues and possible consequences of cyberbullying, sexting, and revealing identifying information to strangers.
○ Register in advance for this meeting:
● Understanding Digital Abuse, Feb. 15, 2022 from 7:00 – 8:15 pm.
○ Understanding Digital Abuse
■ Incidents of Digital Abuse are on the rise. Digital Abuse, which includes the use of technology to harass, exploit, and intimidate others takes many forms. This conversation focuses on how young people today may be exploited and explores the definition and types of digital abuse. This workshop will also demonstrate how digital abuse is similar/different than other forms sexual violence, our state's laws, and best practices for prevention.
○ Register in advance for this meeting:
Interact Club / Children’s Book Drive
Spartan Enrichment Organization (SEO) / January Newsletter
Students: Winter Work Opportunities
SNOW SHOVELERS NEEDED
● Stoneham DPW
○ 16 Pine Street
● $15 per hour
○ Apply in person
○ Must be 16 years of age or older
Parent / Guardian Support
Stoneham Coalition for A Safe and Healthy Coalition: Join us for this year's Parent University, a fun, half day event for parents with students of any age that provides knowledge and advice from community experts through a series of free workshops focusing on student's educational experience and well-being
More information on the Parent University can be found here: