May 1, 2022
Happy May! Our final full month of the year and arguably our busiest. It is also our most exciting and one fraught with many emotions as we begin to say goodbye to our Seniors, the Class of 2022, with our Senior Events.
These emotions of our Senior Celebration combined with the anticipation of Summer for our other classes and it is easy to become distracted. My message for our Seniors and all students is simple; your job is not yet done. You still have classwork assignments and projects to complete, assessments to study for and complete, music to be played, lines to be read, games to be played. Stay focused and end this year, whether you're a Senior or a member of another class, as positive and strong as ever, representative of you and that Spartan Spirit!
Have a good week!
We kindly ask that you utilize the following links as first resources to find the information you are seeking prior to contacting the Main Office.
SHS Web Page:
Save the Date
May 2 - 12 AP Testing
May 6: NHS Induction, 6:00pm
May 10: Junior / Senior Powder Puff Game, 7:00pm
May 17 - 18: Math MCAS
May 20 - 21: Drama Club Spring Musical, 7:00pm
May 23: Spring Band Concert, 7:00pm
May 24: Senior Awards Ceremony, 6:00pm
May 26: Senior Family Picnic, 6:00pm
May 30: School Closed / Memorial Day
May 31: Senior Prom @ Danversport, 6:30pm - 10:00pm
June 1: Year End Athletics Banquet, 5:45pm
June 2: Senior Car Parade, 5:30pm line up at SCMS / 6:00pm parade start
June 3: Graduation, 6:30pm
Attendance Review Application
Stoneham High School Attendance Review Application
● DUE BY MAY 6, 2022
Stoneham High School believes that consistent daily attendance is an integral component of the learning process and for the academic and social growth of all students. We expect our students to be in school every day so as to learn content, develop skills, and establish routines and mindset for success beyond high school.
As stated above, daily attendance is expected; however, it is understood that life circumstances do occur that at times may require a school absence/s. With this in mind, Stoneham High School has adopted the DESE ten percent standard for what is considered chronic absenteeism (9 unexcused absences in Semester Course [90 schools days]; 18 unexcused absences in a Year Long Course [180 school days]).
A student who has exceeded the minimum attendance standard may apply to the Attendance Review Board for a waiver of absences due to extenuating circumstances. The Attendance Review Board will review waiver requests and provide notification to the student and parent/guardian of the decision. Part of this process may require the student to participate in a meeting with the Attendance Review Board.
Students can pick up a waiver request form in the main office. The attendance waiver request form must be accompanied by the appropriate/required documentation to support the request and be signed by a parent/guardian. All requests and documentation for an appeal must be submitted to the Attendance Review Board no later than 3:00 p.m. on May 6, 2022. Please reach out to Mrs. Auger, Assistant Principal (Sauger@stonehamschools.org) with any questions.
AP / MCAS Testing
May brings us AP and MCAS testing. Students are reminded and encouraged about the simple benefits of good night sleep, eating breakfast and having available snacks.
● Advanced Placement (AP) Testing:
○ Students in AP Courses
○ May 2 - May 12, 2022
● Math MCAS
○ Grade 10 / Class of 2024
○ May 17 & May 18
National Honor Society Induction Ceremony / Change in start time
The start time for Stoneham High School 2021-2022 National Honor Society Induction Ceremony, scheduled for Friday, 5/6/2022, has been changed from 7:00pm to 6:00pm.
SHS College Planning Resource
Hello SHS students!
Two Peer Leaders have created a “SHS College Planning Resource” website!
● In the website, you will find tips, advice, and information regarding the college process.
● You can access this site on the Stoneham Public Schools website and it will be posted on the Junior’s google classroom.
● You can also access it through this link:
FLEX Block / New enrichment option
Welcome back from break students! Want to spring into a relaxing new flex opportunity? Do you want to have a conversation about something you are passionate about? Be sure to check out “The Lounge”. This new FLEX opportunity will be available to everyone! It is the perfect way to destress at the end of the day. It is a place to talk about what you want, from music, to anxiety and everything in between. It will be student led, no judgment, in the library on Day 2. Hope to see you there
Here are the Honors and High Honors academic recognitions for Q3. I thank and commend these students for their consistent efforts and commitment to their learning and education. Great job!
Class of 2022 / Senior Events
● Graduation Cap & Gown
○ We will be accepting payment for your Graduation Cap & Gown and accessories.
○ Checks should be made payable to: SHS Activity Fund.
■ Basic cost per student: $30.00.
● Cost will increase if you requested additional tassels.
○ Basic package
■ Cost per student / $30.00
○ Royal Blue Cap/Gown and Tassel: $17.00
○ White Stole w/blue Spartan-2022: $13.00
● All Night Graduation Party
○ All seniors are invited to the ALL NIGHT GRADUATION party at the High School following graduation on Friday, June 3, 2022. An over 20-year-old tradition, we are hoping to involve ALL OF OUR GRADUATES!
○ The cost to participate is $35 per student (checks “Celebrating the Future” or cash can be dropped off at the SHS front office). We provide food, AMAZING entertainment, and a safe, chaperoned event that goes from 10 pm Friday to 4:30 am Saturday.
○ Included in this price is a t-shirt (AND AN SHS STRING BAG!), Please fill out the attached t-shirt form with your students size! (see link below)
○ Your generous payment does not cover all of the ALL NIGHT GRADUATION PARTY costs.
■ To raise funds, we are selling lawn signs that say CONGRATULATIONS STONEHAM HIGH SCHOOL CLASS OF 2022, $10 each (checks payable to “Celebrating the Future” or cash are welcome).
■ They can be purchased in the SHS front office (8 am - 4 pm Monday – Friday) or by contacting Lisa Gallagher (email@example.com or 781-632-2050)
■ Signs are currently available in the SHS Main Office.
○ These awesome signs ARE NOT JUST FOR FAMILIES OF SENIORS! They are popping up all over Stoneham. Encourage your friends, family members and business partners to show their SPARTAN PRIDE and purchase a sign.
Dual Enrollment /Earn high school credit and diploma while earning college credit
Stoneham High School has partnered with the Gateway to College program at North Shore Community College to offer students an alternative option to earn their high school diploma and meaningful college credits.
● Gateway to College is a unique dual enrollment opportunity for students who either have not experienced success in the traditional high school setting or are looking for a new opportunity to excel while still in high school.
● Students attend all classes on the Northshore campus, where they are provided with intensive support while earning a Stoneham HS diploma and free college credits that can be applied towards an associate degree or credit certificate program at NSCC, or transferred to a four-year college or university.
● Gateway to College graduates develop the important skills and habits necessary for success in college and to compete in today's changing job market.
If you are between 16-21 years old and have a strong desire to earn your diploma in a nontraditional setting, please see your school counselor for more information.
Pre-College Summer Programs
Many colleges and universities offer pre-college summer experiences for students who are interested in career exploration and academic enrichment. Please see the Guidance page of the high school website for more information:
● MEFA ( Massachusetts Educational Financing Authority) is offering a variety of upcoming webinars related to college planning and financing. More information and registration here:
SAT / PSAT Information
● SAT test dates at SHS
○ June 4, 2022
■ Registration deadline: May 5, 2022
SEO / Spartan Enrichment Organization
SHS Interact Club/ Pop Tart Pledge; Boston Homeless Project
The SHS Interact Club is asking community members to take the Pop-Tart Pledge
● Donate boxes of Pop-Tarts that will benefit the Boston Homeless Project.
○ Last year they collected over 600 boxes.
● Boxes can be sent to the high school through Amazon or dropped off in the PopTart box in the HS Main Lobby