Special Education in Stoneham Public Schools
The Office of Special Education’s mission is to work collaboratively with faculty, staff and parents to address the needs of students who require specialized instruction and to help ensure students’ successful participation in and access to the general education curriculum. We serve students ages three through twenty-two by providing a range of accommodations, modifications, support and services, depending on the individual needs of each student.
The SPS Special Education Department’s goals include:
- Provide services for students found eligible for special education in compliance with all state and federal mandates and laws.
- Refine and maintain a robust continuum of services, supports, and programming.
- Embrace inclusive best practices, that is, be mindful of educating every student we serve within the least restrictive setting, supporting their participation and access in the general education classroom and activities with peers. (IDEA, 2004)
- Provide ongoing opportunities for professional development for general education and special education faculty and staff that focuses on current research, best practices, regulations and laws.
- Communicate and collaborate closely with our families.