Wishing all our mom’s a Happy Mother’s Day, hope it was a great day!
The first few days of our full return to in person learning went extremely well. Students report it was great to finally be together with their classmates and teachers in one place at the same time. Teachers share that being together in person allows for greater opportunities for student engagement and learning activities that they were not able to do with a split class.
Students continued to do well with wearing masks but are strongly reminded of the requirement to adhere to our hallway travel routes. Though society is quickly opening up with COVID restrictions, Stoneham Public Schools and Stoneham High School still has in effect our established COVID Safety Guidelines so that we may continue to maintain a safe environment and allow us to continue with our planned activities for all students.
Recent news was shared that on Monday, May 17, more change for our students and their daily schedule will occur once more as we bring back a full school day with dismissal on all days at 2:50 pm and lunch served during school hours. We will continue with the five day schedule we are currently in and will increase class times to sixty nine minute periods to extend to a traditional full day dismissal of 2:50pm. That schedule can be found here. There are still some specifics with regard to FLEX Block that are not yet determined. Flex block, lunches and other schedule updates will be shared over the next week.
We have an exciting week as it will be our first full week of all in person and our first ever Stress - Less day. Sure to be fun!
Here’s to a great week!
Mark Your Calendar
May 5 - 24: AP Testing
May 13: Stress - Less Day
May 17: SHS return to Full Day Schedule with lunch; 8:15am - 2:50pm
May 21: Seniors / Class of 2021 last day of classes
May 27: Athletic Awards; 6:00pm
May 27 & 28: Math MCAS
· Testing @ SHS; Grades 10 / 11*
o *Only those 11th graders who have chosen
· Asynchronous learning remote schedule; Grades 9 and 11
June 4: No School / District PD
June 17: Last Day of School / Half day dismissal @ 12:15pm
June 1: Senior Scholarships and Academic Awards
June 2: Senior Celebration
June 3: Senior Parade
June 4: Class of 2021 Graduation Commencement
COVID Safety Updates / Do your Part
With the return of all students it is extremely important and expected that students will follow the one way walking routes.
Basic Safety Requirements
1. Follow established one way walking routes
2. Wear face mask appropriately at all times on SHS grounds and at SHS sponsored events
3. Wash / sanitize hands frequently
4. Social Distance 3 - 6 feet as best and often as possible
5. No coffee / drinks / food are permitted in classrooms.
· Food is to be eaten in the Cafeteria or alternative areas when directed.
· If a student requires water then they should discuss with their teacher and work within classroom expectations and safety requirements.
Sydney Vallone was selected to attend the MA HOBY Leadership Seminar held May 1 and 2, 2021.
· Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Sydney was joined virtually by 215 other high school leaders from across the state of Massachusetts.
· Each spring, the MA HOBY Leadership Seminar hosts sophomores from public and private high schools who have been selected to convene for one weekend to recognize their leadership talents and to provide them with the tools to become effective and ethical leaders.
· Student participants (known as HOBY Ambassadors) take part in hands-on activities, hear powerful presentations from innovative and passionate speakers, and explore their own personal leadership skills while learning how to lead others and make a positive impact in their community.
On Thursday, May 13th, Stoneham High School will be participating in Spartan "Stress-Less" Day. This event was proposed by students in the 2020-2021 Civic Action class with the goal of promoting mental and physical health as well as providing students with an opportunity to learn and engage in our community without the stressors of grades or long-term academic commitment.
Together, Peer Leader and Civic Action students have dedicated hours to planning and organizing so this event could take place before the Class of 2021's last day of school. While the hard work of these students would be applauded during a normal year, it is especially noteworthy during this 2020-2021 school year of change and uncertainty.
On this day, SHS students will be able to choose from a collection of "stress-less" activities led by faculty and student leaders. These sessions will emphasize the importance of learning for fun, building community, and prioritizing overall health and wellbeing. Students can select from activities such as walking, jogging, baking bread, learning to play tennis, making sensory bottles, coloring, learning about hip hop, scrapbooking, or playing a friendly trivia game, to name a few. Additionally, all ninth graders will attend one session with their school counselor to learn more about what the school counseling department does. Through this opportunity, students will begin to develop a relationship with their counselor as well as become more familiar with the many resources we have to offer at Stoneham High School.
Our community will continue to adhere to Covid safety regulations throughout this event. Despite these restrictions, we hope this day allows us to come together and offer community support in a year particularly inhibited by isolation and distance.
Together, our community will unwind, "stress-less," and appreciate the many supports we have within our school. Thank you for your continued support!
This is a full school day with start time of 8:15 and dismissal at 12:30; School attendance is required.
Booster Club Athletic Banquet
· All 2020-2021 SHS sports
· Thursday May 27
o 6:00pm on the football field.
Due to Covid restrictions and State guidelines, we will only be able to have our Seniors in attendance with no spectators. Specific underclassmen will be invited based on awards.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact the athletic office
Senior / Class of 2021 Senior Activities and Graduation Information UPDATES
All stages of the planning process for our Senior Events are active as I write this message. There are many fund raising activities taking place thanks to our Spartan Enrichment Organization (SEO); Raffle Baskets and Lawn Signs.
Meetings are ongoing as we hammer out the details for activities of celebration. From weekly meetings with Administration and the Senior Class Advisor and Senior Class Officers to those with SEO and parent volunteers, there are many involved and much being done to provide a fantastic celebration for our seniors.
More details and specific information will be shared as all is finalized. Ms. Nims and Senior Class Officers will continue to communicate to the Class of 2021 and request input as needed.
Key Events and dates
· All events are at the SHS Football Field unless otherwise noted.
· All events are Rain or Shine with exception to Graduation
May 20: Powder Puff Game; 7:00pm
May 27: Athletic Awards; 6:00pm
June 1: Academic Awards; 7:00pm
June 2: Promenade and Senior Celebration; 5:00pm - 10:00pm
June 3: Senior Parade 6:00pm - 7 /7:30pm
· Start at SCMS
o Line up begins at 5:30
June 4: Graduation; 6:00pm - 7:30pm
· Rain Date: June 5 or June 6; time TBD
Coming this Spring….
Guidance Department Announcements / CLASS of 2022
Juniors and Junior Parents:
· There are several upcoming virtual college fair opportunities.
o Details here:
· Stoneham High School will not be holding any further SAT’s for the 2020-2021 School Year.
· We will announce our 2021-2022 SAT test dates at the beginning of the 2021-2022 School Year.
Spring Testing Dates
· May 27 & 28 / Math
o Testing Grades 10 & 11*
· All testing is in person / school based
· No synchronous / In School Classes for grades and students not testing
o Attend courses remotely / Asynchronous Work and Activities
· *Please see below: MCAS / Class
· May 5 - 24
Stoneham Special Education Parent Advisory Council (SEPAC)
The Stoneham Special Education Parent Advisory Council (SEPAC) is excited to offer a free virtual workshop for parents and professionals on Effective Communication.
· The workshop will discuss the importance of effective communication skills, active listening, factors that can impact communication, preparing for a team meeting, and more.
· The Federation of Children with Special Needs will present this workshop on May 19, 2021, at 6 PM via Zoom.
o Registration is required.
§ Please follow the link below to register.