I hope you are well rested and in good spirits from the long weekend and a happy Thanksgiving. We ended on a positive note with the making of the Lip Dub and a spirited Pep Rally. We return with much to be thankful and much to look forward to.
Though Winter Sports officially begin tomorrow, Monday, 11/28, our Fall Sports continue for SHS Athletics as our Football team competes in the Division 6 Super Bowl next Saturday. Click here to get tickets. Go Spartans! Info for Gillette's Policies
The Fall Drama Club Production, Noises Off, will be performed on December 9, 10 and 11 with the Friday and Saturday evening shows starting at 7pm and the Sunday matinee starting at 2pm. This comedic “play within a play” will surely be entertaining. Ticket information will be released soon.
In between that you have the Grade 9 / 10 Semi Formal and other SHS Club activities and it is a fun and busy time of the year. Add in the holiday influences and it becomes that much more.
It is a time that requires students to be organized with their academics and activities and mindful of their prioritization and time management. Especially as the next three and half weeks are also the last solid three and a half weeks of the quarter before we return after the Holiday Vacation for the final three weeks, including Midterms and Finals, of the Semester.
Students should thoughtfully utilize the next three weeks of FLEX block opportunities to best support their academics with work completion and any needed support. Consistent communication with teachers, and frequent checking of PS and GoogleClassroom are also strongly encouraged to assist with academic management and success.
Here’s to a good week; Go Spartans!
Parking and Traffic Route Map
Social Media Links
· Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/shs.principal.184
· Instagram: bluespartanshs
2022 - 2023 SHS Club and Student Organizations
Save the Date
Wednesday, 11/30: Parent / Teacher Conferences; 6:00pm - 8:00pm
Friday, 12/2: Grade 9/10 SemiFormal; 6:30pm - 9:30pm
Friday - Sunday, 12/9 - 12/11: Fall Drama Club Production
Parent - Teacher Conferences 11/30/2022 6:00 - 8:00
Remote Meetings: A document containing each teachers Google Meet link for remote conferences will be emailed to all households on Monday, 11/28, at 5:30pm
In Person Meetings: Parents should utilize the PS parent portal to access teacher classroom information.
Parent - Teacher Conferences
· When: Wednesday, 11/30/2022 from 6:00pm - 8:00pm.
o Online registration
§ Registration will remain open from Monday, 11/21 through Monday 11/28 until 5:00pm.
o Each parent - teacher conference is scheduled for 5 minutes.
§ Conferences will begin promptly at 6pm and follow the scheduled format until 8pm
· In Person: Parents - Caregivers should be waiting outside the teachers classroom prior to the scheduled time of meeting. The teacher will let you in at the time to begin.
· Remote: Parents - Caregivers should click the link at the time of their scheduled time, or a minute or two prior, until the teacher lets you in.
Photo Club: Some shots from Day 0: Lip Dub & Pep Rally
SOAR Club @ Colonial Park Elementary
Stoneham Public School learning community: The SOAR Club (Students Organizing Against Racism) recently visited a Colonial Park Elementary classroom to read This is How We Do It
SHS Alumni Career Day
Stoneham High School Alumni Relations Club first ever Alumni Career Day. On Friday, November 18, Stoneham High School Alumni provided round table presentations and discussions, sharing their experiences of college and career pathways and connections, with members of the Senior Class of 2023. Thank you Alumni for giving your time and sharing your knowledge and experiences with our Seniors. Spartan Spirit!
2022 Grade 9 & 10 Semi formal Dance
Freshmen/Sophomore Semi Formal 2022
· Friday, December 2nd; 6:30-9:30
o Theme: Starry Night
o DJ and photo booth
§ Spinner Music (booked!)
§ pizza, fruit, water
Student Pictures Pick Up in Main Office
The picture orders from Legacy Studios are available for pick up in the main office of the high school.
· Those students who placed orders should have received notification.
Please stop by the main office to pick up your order before school, during flex or after school.
Q1 Spartan Academic Recognitions
Congratulations to the following students with earning Honors and High Honors recognition for their Quarter One academic performance. Thank you for your hard work, participation and commitment to your learning. Demonstrating Spartan Academic Spirit!
· High Honors
o A minimum of five “A‟s” and no grade lower than a “B” in all subjects.
o A minimum of all “B’s” in all subjects.
1. FREE Saturday Exploratory Program for any student, grades 9-12, at Northeast Metro Tech
· The program runs from 8-12, with a mid morning snack break (snack and water provided by Northeast).
· This opportunity is a great way to learn hands-on interactive skills in a
career-technical education environment.
o Session 1: 12/3,12/10,12/17,1/7 Health Assisting, Drafting and Design, Electrical, Carpentry, Design and Visual, Robotics
o Session 2: 1/14, 1/21.1/28,2/4 Business Technology, Cosmetology, Health Assisting, Robotics, Carpentry, Electrical, Metal Fabrication
o Session 3: 2/11,2/18,3/4,3/11 Culinary Arts, Design and Visual Communications, Cosmetology, HVAC, Robotics, Carpentry, Auto Body, Dental Assisting, Health Assisting
· See attachments for registration details.
2. Scholarship / Seniors
· Registration is now open for the Massachusetts AFL-CIO Scholarship Exam.
o ALL high school seniors are eligible, and students with a union affiliation are eligible for additional scholarships as well.
· The online exam will be administered in school during the week of Monday, February 6, 2023.
o It will consist of multiple choice questions and one written essay.
· See link below to register and to access the study guide.
· The deadline to register is Friday, December 16, 2022.
3. Senior Parents
· Attend an upcoming FAFSA Day event for free assistance completing financial aid forms.
· All events are online, and an advisor will meet with you personally in a breakout room.
Seniors and Senior Households Yearbook Info
Special Education Parents Advisory Council (SEPAC) November Meeting
The Special Education Parent Advisory Council (SEPAC) will be holding its next meeting on Tuesday November 29 at 7pm via zoom.
All are welcome to join.
Here is the remote access links:
o Meeting ID: 852 5272 5297
o Passcode: 488262
More SEPAC information can be found at the Stoneham SEPAC website. https://www.stonehamsepac.org/
South Elementary Community Service Project / December 1
The South School third graders are working on a community service project.
· They are collecting pajamas for kids in need.
o These third graders have been creating fliers, posters, commercials and writing letters to local businesses to ask for donations.
· Pajamas will be donated to local foster homes, homeless shelters, Head Start schools or Title One schools.
· They are collecting pajamas until December 1st
o Pajamas must be new and can be in any size!
o They would appreciate any support you can give - they are trying to beat the last year collection of 430 pairs of pajamas!
· A donation bin is located in the SHS Main Lobby lobby.
Check out our Fall Library Newsletter for updates on the SHS library.
1. Adding the Powerschool App to your phone allows easy access to your academic schedule and academic progress monitoring.
a. Students are required to utilize their school issued Powerschool login and password.
b. Students need to access Adaptive Scheduler for FLEX registration which can only be accessed through PS and their own assigned account and login information.